June 2019 Wind Turbine Project Update
By now you've heard about the Terra-Gen, "Humboldt Wind" wind turbine generator (WTG) network, proposed for construction on Bear River and Monument Ridges, just southwest -- and looming high above -- the historic small towns of Scotia and Rio Dell.
Even a truncated bullet list of this gigantic project's major components is so long it distracts from these notes, but here it is in a nutshell. (Click on bulleted titles to view)
- "Humboldt Wind" Project Description
- Project Environmental Review Process
- Adverse Impacts to Wildlife & Habitat: Notes
- Adverse Impacts to Marbled Murrelet
- Applying Current CA Energy Commission Guidelines
2019 Wind Turbine Project News
The Humboldt Wind, LLC Draft Environmental Impact Report is available on County of Humboldt's website for public review and comment http://humboldtgov.org/2408/Humboldt-Wind-Energy-Project. Comments are due by June 14, 2019 and can be emailed to CEQAResponses@co.humboldt.ca.us.
- Town of Scotia Company, LLC has submitted their comments to the DEIR as of June 12, 2019. Click Here to view.
- Scotia Community Services District. Click Here to view.
- City of Rio Dell. Click Here to view.
- CA Department of Wildlife. Click Here to view.
- Siskiyou Land Conservancy by Ken Miller, MD. Click Here to view.
2018 Wind Turbine Project News
A new development project has recently been announced and applied for which has the potential to impact the Scotia area. Terra-Gen LLC has applied tot he County of Humboldt for a Conditional Use Permit to construct a Wind Power Generation Project (the "Project").
This Project is extraordinary for its scope and size in Humboldt County, as well as its nature (Wind Powered Energy Generation). The Project will definitely impact the Scotia area. How and how much are questions non yet determined.
The Humboldt County Planning and Building Department is preparing an Environmental Impact Report (EIR) for a 135 megawatt wind energy project consisting of 60 wind turbines, each approximately 600 ft. tall, and extension of transmission lines to the Bridgeville PG&E Substation. The project is generally located in the Scotia areas, predominantly on the Monument Ridge which is a currently undeveloped scenic ridge line above Scotia tot he West.
A Notice of Preparation (NOP) of an Environmental Impact Report (EIR) has been issued by the County, further describing the project and requesting the public and affected governmental agencies to provide comments on areas that should be covered in the EIR. As part of this "Scoping" effort, two public scoping meetings were held and written comment was opened to allow the public and affected governmental agencies to present and review ideas and concerns associated with this project.
Attached for review are several of the key documents generated in this initial Notice of Preparation and Scoping process so far. While it is early in the environmental review process for this project, we commend review of these materials to anyone interested in the project, wind power generally and Scotia in particular. Scotia will be the most impacted by this project because it is the closest community to the construction.
Included in the materials provided for review so far are:
- The Applicant's (Terra-Gen, LLC) Conditional Use Permit Application
- 2018 EIR Consultant's Scoping Report, including the County's Notice of Preparation with public and agencies comments
- UPDATE: The Humboldt Wind Project Draft Environmental Impact Report is now available for public review and comments on the County web site. Public comment period ends June 5, 2019.
OTHER SCOTIA NEWS
Improved Scotia Volunteer Fire Department ISO Rating- Effective June 1, 2019
Engine for Scotia Volunteer Fire Department – February 21, 2017
Utility Rates Established in Scotia – February 17, 2017
First Scotia Homes in Escrow – February 17, 2017
Scotia Inn Closes – February 1, 2017
ANNUAL CONSUMER CONFIDENCE REPORTS
- Town of Scotia's 2014 Consumer Confidence Report
- Town of Scotia's 2013 Consumer Confidence Report
- Town of Scotia's 2012 Consumer Confidence Report
- Town of Scotia's 2011 Consumer Confidence Report
- Town of Scotia's 2010 Consumer Confidence Report
- Town of Scotia's 2009 Consumer Confidence Report
SCOTIA INDEPENDENT NEWSPAPER LINKS
(Publication of this newspaper has been suspended)